1. The chairman says he needs an assistant that he can ___ take care of problems that may occur in his absence.
A. count on B. resort to C. look up to D. seek after
2. His intelligence and experience will enable him to ___ the complicated situation.
A. cope with B. settle down C. intervene in D. interfere with [CET-6,1994,1]
3. The wood was so rotten that when we pulled, it ___ into fragments.
A. broke away B. broke of C. broke up D. break through
4. The terrorists might have planted a bomb on a plan in Athens, set to ____ when it arrived in New York.
A. go off B. get off C. come off D. carry off [CET-6,1999,6]
5. All the information we have collected in relation to that caes ____ very little.
A. make up for B. adds up to C. come up with D. puts up with
6. Care should be taken to decrease the length of that one is ___ load continuous noise.
A. subjected with B. filled with C. associated with D. attached to
7. George assured his boss that he would _____ all his energies in doing hiw new job.
A. call forth B. call at C. call on D. call of
8. Attemps to persuade her to stay after she felt insulted were ____ .
A. in no way B. on the contrary C. at a loss D. of no avail
9. The formal gardens originally _____ in the early 1990's aere so elaborate that the care of 32 gardeners was required.
A. laid down B. laid out C. laid over D. laid up
10. If you _____ the bottle and cigarettes, you'll be much healthied.
A. take off B. keep off C. get off D. set off
11. Poverty depresses most people, _____ my father it was otherwise.
A. in case B. in case of C. in the case of D. in any way
12. He was such a busy man that after a long delay, he ____ writing the letter.
A. get around to B. looked forward to C. passed on to D. took to
13. Wten a psychologist does a general experiment about the human mind, he selects people ______ and ask them questions.
A. at length B. at random C. in essence D. in bulk [CET-6,1997,1]
14. The fire must have ____ after the staff had gone home.
A. broken down B. broken up C. broken out D. broken off [CET-6,1994,1]
15. There are several possible explanations for the greater job stability in Japan ______ the great mobility in the V.S.
A. contrary to B. in regard to C. in contrast to D. with respect to
16. It'stime we _____ the experiment, otherwise we can't complete the task according to the schedule.
A. turned to B. saw to C got down to D. sat in
17.At the party we found that the shy girl _______ her mother all the time.
A. centering on B. adhering to C. coinciding with D. clinging to
18. He failed to completely achieve the aim _____ by the teacher at the begining of the term.
A. brought forth B. set forth C. come up D. put forward
19. Malaria, it is sure, has been practically _____ in thirteen countries, including the V.S., and is under attack in many others.
A. wiped out B. died out C. put out D. left out
20. Digestion _____ the necessary chemical changes in the food which must occur before it can be absorbed.
A.consist in B. feeds in C. puts in D. tucks in
A. count on：指望，依靠 B. resort to：求助于，凭借 C. look up to：敬仰，尊敬 D. seek after：探索，追求
A. cope with：对付，处理 B. settle down：定居 C. intervene in：干涉，调停，阻挠 D. interferewith：干涉，妨碍
A. broke away：（突然）逃跑 B. broke of：（突然）中止 C. broke up：打碎，破裂 D. break through：穿越
A. go off：爆炸 B. get off：动身，下车 C. come off：脱离，分离 D. carry off：带去，抢去
5. 答案为B。A. make up for：补偿 B. adds up to：等于，意味着 C. come up with：赶上，得出（主意，想法） D. puts up with忍受